☞ Contact Prior to Moving
- Fuel Oil
- Landlord (if necessary)
- Dept. of Motor Vehicles
- Bank/Credit Cards
- Employers and Schools
- Post Office (2-4 weeks ahead of move)
- Insurance (auto, life, home, etc.)
☞ Packing Techniques
- Pack one room at a time. Label each box with a description of its contents and the room it came from (bedroom, kitchen, etc.). The more detailed you are, the easier it will be to unpack.
- Avoid applying tape directly to polished or painted surfaces. Removing the tape may damage the surface.
- Add plenty of cushioning to fragile items, or even double-box if necessary.
- Keep boxes at a manageable weight. Pack heavy items in small boxes and lighter items in larger boxes.
- Load the items you need least onto the truck first and the items you need most last.
- Pack irreplaceable items in your car.
☞ Box of Essentials
You are going to want to pack a box of essentials for when you first arrive at your new home. These items include:
- Garbage Bags and Re-closable Plastic Bags
- Snacks and Drinks
- Toilet Paper and Paper Towels
- Can Opener
- Radio, Flashlight, Light Bulbs
- Paper Plates, Cups, Plastic Utensils
- Pencil and Paper
- Scissors and Box Opener
- Hammer, Screwdrivers, Pliers
- Prescription Drugs
- Change of Clothes
- First Aid Kit (with pain relievers)